March 21, 2016
Spring has officially sprung! It's time to think of being outdoors!
I must start out on a sad note. Former Mayor Art Petracco passed away suddenly on March 14. He served Bay Head faithfully for many years, first as a Councilman and then as Mayor from January 1, 2000 through December 31, 2007. Condolences to his family. He will be missed.
Now on to what is happening.
- We have met with a very efficient group of landscape engineers and architects from the DOT. They will be replacing holly trees and more, and working on the south end of Centennial Park accessed by the Mount Street footbridge and from Club Drive. Residents,Council President Green and Public Works Supervisor Tillson partici¬pated in the planning.
- We have a lot of plans for Bicycle Safety this Summer. More details will be included in my next Memo, but we are planning Bicycle Training for everyone. Training will be held at the Bay Head School before the Summer recess along with a "Bike Rodeo" there. Other training will be with Bay Head Yacht Club children before Junior Sailing and Junior Tennis. Another will be for Bay Head Improvement Association workers. Times, places, and attendance have yet to be worked out. We are also going to have three bicycle police to enforce safe biking rules and regulations this Summer.
- The BHIA will be replacing the "down" stairs at the beach access platforms in April. There will be two handicapped access ramps again this Summer. As last Summer, the handicapped ramps will be at the Osborne Avenueand Howe Street beach entrances. We are still working on developing plans for a permanent ramp.
- We will keep the ballfield at Metcalfe and Club idle again this year to let it heal for one more season. If you walk your pet there, or anywhere, PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER IT.
- Council has agreed that we will not take any parking spaces away on Route 35. As a result, there will be no left turn arrow at Bridge Avenue and Route 35 or at any other light in town.
- Smells persist at the pump stations. The DOT is supposed to fix this problem.
- Many have noticed that a few boulders from the new revetment fell. They have been reset by the contractor at his expense and with guidance from the engineer on the project.
- Agate is still sealing pipes on Route 35.
- Milling and paving of East Avenue is still projected to be done before this Summer.
Our new Borough Hall is coming, but we're just not sure when.
Stay safe and enjoy Bay Head.